Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mirror, Mirror Challenge (Let the Photos Begin!)


What is it about mirrors? I have always had a love/hate relationship with them. Since I was a young girl, I often looked at myself in them. It's not that I'm vain -- it has always been a strange fascination -- who was/is that girl/woman staring back at me? In my life I have often been told that I was beautiful, smart -- but that never really felt real to me -- I never really felt it deep down inside. So maybe looking at myself in a mirror was an attempt to see that beauty, then to feel it. Or just an attempt to feel myself. Or an attempt to see something else entirely. What an odd thing to do! It's only recently as the wrinkles and the gray hair and the body changes creep in, that I've started to think, well maybe I am beautiful. Maybe I've lied to myself all these years instead of claiming my beauty. Or maybe it's not about any of that. It's just an exercise in looking at the facts, maybe even the fantasy.

I find it amusing to see that I started this blog with a post and a picture of myself that was snapped in the bathroom mirror. So I've decided to start a Mirror, Mirror Challenge for anyone to join. Anyone who has the time or inclination to post a photo they have taken of themselves in a mirror. To start with, it will be necessary to post a photo at a minimum once a month. But I will also have a Wild Card section, where if spur-of-the-moment mirror and camera opportunities arise, can be uploaded. Here goes! I invite you to join me!
What would it be like to not worry about aging? To just feel my mane blowing in the wind?

No comments:

Post a Comment