Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Continuous Process, But Not Linear!



Well, I cleaned up my studio as good as I could to make my deadline meeting with Linadria, and all in all I think I gave her a pretty good sense of how I go about making my oriel pendants. I was a tad nervous of being watched as I soldered...I kept thinking I had to hurry...or be perfect....But I realized that wasn't the issue, the challenge was to stay present and to let things flow. We spent time talking "biz", the different avenues to explore, possibilities of where this small jewelry business of mine might go -- but the time was more about putting our two bodies in the same place and to see where things went in the moment.

My intention is to see my business grow as an expression of my self. And there is no accident that the most challenging part of the hour was describing for her who Kentucky Girl is -- she wanted to get a sense of what that name meant to me. For those who read, or will read these posts, Kentucky Girl was one of the names I chose for my business name, but then I got a lot of feedback that it really didn't fit my image or teh things I made. However, I wanted to get a shop up in Etsy right away (this was March 08) so I named the shop Kentucky Girl (see link) and figured if I sat with the whole thing for a bit, a more professional name would appear. It did: Oriel Pendants (more on that later) is my registered business name, but I still like Kentucky Girl!

Isn't this funny...I have spent my whole life searching for who I really am...the person or being that I am under all the trappings (born in Kentucky, an elderly mother, 1 brother, 1 sister, married twice, divorced once, live in California, etc., etc.), and I'm just not ready to get rid of the Kentucky in me. Who says I have to right now? Life is and has been and will be a continuous process, and learning who you really are is not linear! I am becoming closer, though, I can just about feel it...

What would it feel like to not doubt who I am? To feel my mane blowing in the wind?

Oriel: Mairzy Doats with Beaded Necklace. See at Etsy Kentucky Girl Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment