Saturday, July 3, 2010

Time Travel: Dream of a Serpent and White Horse

Altered Book Spread: Dream Horse and Snake
"Time Travel" is a new category in which I highlight art that I have created over the past 30 years (or longer!). Kind of like my own retrospective, just so I can see what I have done. In the past, I have tended to forget, ignore, belittle and/or minimize my creative endeavors. And forget techniques that I've used in the past. What better time than now to take the time to revisit and take an accounting of what I have accomplished? Perhaps it will lead me off on a different track, down another road, or send some sparks and energy into my present. The above spread I created in an altered book round robin, which I participated in probably around 2005 or 2006. My subject was dreams, and the book I chose was a Modern Library 1950 hardback edition of Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams. I cut up snippets of dreams from old diaries of mine, and each artist created one or two spreads based on that dream segment. I love this book and the art that was created in it, both by me and the other artists in the round robin. The dream segment I chose : "September 12, 2005. The white horse comes rushing into my dream, leaping over the snake I let it loose in the grass. I feel powerful and vulnerable at the same time. These are feelings I've felt for centuries." The Snake is actually in 3D, resting on top of the image, and moves when you open and close the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment