Thursday, October 22, 2009

Collage: Where the Boys Are


Where the Boys Are

I made this collage yesterday morning before my sister took me to the airport. After breakfast at the Farmer's Market we went out to her little backyard art studio to get in some final art creating time before I had to leave. My intention was again to create a collage that filled the entire page of the big journal I was working in, and to not think so much about the images I was picking, nor where I placed them on the page. I was again, uncomfortable creating this -- feeling a bit out of control.

This one really surprised me. And it turned out that it features "boys" -- except for the one woman climber (who I guess represents the female me). I suppose it's speaking to my maleness or male energy. The tough little boys, the surfers watching and waiting for the Big One, the expeditioners climbing and facing the elements, the vintage car that I never owned but desired to (El Camino 1971-72, baby), even the Komodo dragon with all of its reptilian top predator aggression. My sister said that this one was probably the most artistic collage I did all week -- it was much looser and freer. I don't know about that, but it definitely felt satisfying to create it!

1 comment:

  1. have to agree w/sis... i like how u fused all of the images, love the colors as well

    ReplyDelete