Thursday, October 22, 2009

Backyard Art




I just love my sister and I love her art studio. You wander out to this green box surrounded by gardens and tall, tall trees -- and as you sit in front of the table, you can smell the outdoors and hear the birds, and feel and hear the wind move through the trees. It is painted a lovely green to blend into the surroundings and my sister placed beautiful hammered tin mermaids on the sliding doors. There are sliding screens to keep out summer bugs, and the building is insulated so the space heater makes it cozy inside during the cold months. But mostly it is a haven to create art -- no phone calls, no TV, no neighbors knocking on the doors (usually), just you and the art supplies and maybe the dogs Tippit or Charlie to keep you company. And we just get down to it. We talk, or we are silent for hours, or we make sounds, or we laugh or we cry -- all while making art.

I love creating in the outdoors, and think about how I could replicate something like this out here in California. Maybe I could set up a soldering studio in the barn. Maybe I could add French doors into one wall of my studio in the house. Somehow, I am determined to do this. Angelina would be my companion I think -- and all I would need to make it perfect would be my sister's company from time to time!

3 comments:

  1. I am surprised u don't have a studio like this.. What would be cool is to have a trifold glass door where u can open it all the way and have a phantom screen.. I love the metal work on your sister's wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My art studio takes up one of our 4 bedrooms. It overflows into my office (the bedroom next door). Since we don't have children -- it would seem a waste to not utilize the space for art-making! My art studio window faces a side garden, but the soldering table is in front of the window. If I moved the soldering area out to the barn, and had big French doors and an invisible screen built into the wall, it might work. It would be an expensive project though. But worth considering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A studio like that...every artists dream. Go for it, Virginia!

    ReplyDelete