Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daily Journal Page Challenge...Day 177

Daily Journal Page Challenge...Day 177: A Song of Blue and Green
This is another photo (actually a packing tape transfer) taken of my grandmother, Mimi, when she was perhaps 18 or 19 -- around 1916. It brings to mind a song my grandmother used to sing to me. It was very old-fashioned in words and lyrics...but the tune and the memory still floats into my awareness from time to time. In vain I have searched the internet to try to find the lyrics -- my next step is the Smithsonian -- this must have been a song from the late 18oo's or early teens of the last century.

Here is what I remember of them:

In 1892 grand papa in a coat of blue
Met grand mama in a green silk gown
with hat to match on her way to town.
Grand papa with a by your leave
offered his arm in a blue clad sleeve,
which grand mama took, was a trifle rash,
because green and blue are supposed to clash....

Then my grandmother would trill a little tune because she forgot the next verse or verses, I think (it seemed reminiscent of the Poor Pauline silent movie pauses, where music would play in the theater, when the scenes changed). I don't remember the final verse, except for this single phrase that indicated a life-long relationship that ended in death:
....Years have passed and two hearts that once beat as two, now lay still as one.

Definitely a sweet...and haunting memory of my grandmother and of an era passed.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory and I love how the page reflects the mood you've described perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. It's exactly that softest of soft places on a horse's muzzle that I love too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kendalee...I've been thinking a lot about my grandmother recently. Maybe she's visiting (so to speak!). And also thanks returned for your wonderful post on that handsome brown horse. This time of the year I always miss my Paint horse, Magic (the equine love of my life), because autumn was always my favorite time for riding!

    ReplyDelete