Thursday, June 4, 2009

Deer Island Owls...and Dances with Snakes


DI Owls Spread, originally uploaded by beautiful my mane.

I took a walk this morning at Deer Island. Overcast, no hawks to say hello to and I haven't heard a Horned Owl for quite awhile. The Rangers were out trimming the edges of the paths -- a good thing cause the grasses and thistles were leaving their marks on my skin or pants! No snakes today either. I saw 2 last week, sunning themselves across the path. I like seeing them -- as long as they are not diamond backs or western rattlers, that's OK. If they are slow to move off the path, I sometimes get a twig or limb and encourage them on their way. Snakes don't scare me so much as long as I can see them. I probably would have danced with snakes if had the opportunity :). Just call me "Dances with Snakes".

2 comments:

  1. I like this, your work is getting more earthy and I love the colors and textures... We use to get a lot of rattlers, baby ones which are dangerous... Only came across one here at this house... We get an occasional coyote.. Lately, I came across a field rat that killed off some of my best lilies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This spread is actually from my Deer Island altered book that I did a number of years ago. I really was into greens and browns and golds back then. You can click on the Flicr badge and go see it. I'm just in a lighter, more bouncy space now a days, but being a Libra, I (suppose) have many many sides to myself and my interests! I didn't know field rats eat lillies! What is that quote? "Consider the lillies of the field (rats!)..."

    ReplyDelete