Monday, May 11, 2009

"Not a Typical Mother's Day"

To quote my blog friend Chrissy's post title...I spent part of Mother's Day in the hospital with my mother. She's not off the ventilator yet, but her spirits have risen and she's more aware than ever of the necessity of being patient and letting her body get stronger. My mother has little patience, but the strongest will of anybody I know (besides me!). So if anybody can survive an ordeal like this, she can. As I could not bring her food -- I bought a Mother's Day cookie, brewed a cup of strong coffee, sat down at her living room table, and said "Here's to you, Mom!"
As I was writing this, my brother called from the hospital and said "Listen to this..." -- my mother rasped a hello -- she's off the ventilator! How about that!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, now u can bring some cookies!...A strong will does help... Eric's Dad is still hanging in there even tho he hasn't communicated in 3 years and can no longer feed himself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am sorry for both Eric and his dad. There seems always to be some reason or lesson why people choose to stay or go...at least I've always believed that. Early last week I said to my mom -- "If you want to go, I'll help you go; if you want to stay, I'll fight with you -- but you have to fight like hell!" She just told me that was one of the things she remembered -- that I told her to fight like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling your mom would have fought like hell...As far as Eric's dad,Eric has always said his dad was stubborn... When I first met his Dad he looked strong as an ox.. and over the years, he has just withered into someone non recognizable... his feet and hands have atrophied but yet he still hangs on....

    ReplyDelete