Friday, March 18, 2011

2011 Daily Journal Page Challenge...Day 345

2011 Daily Journal Page Challenge -- Day 345: They Both Have Long Limbs
OK, I'm finally caught up --it's official -- with my pages and my posting of them! And where did this one come from? I started out with the model. Then I saw a Smithsonian magazine article on giraffes. Then I thought about Drawing Lab's second exercise that I never got to, which had to do with drawing giraffes. So I drew one on the page. I figure it's legs must be as long as this woman's arms. Then I remember my second giraffe encounter. I will never forget being in Vienna, well on the outskirts -- I went to the Summer Palace for a trip. It had a very small zoo with cramped cubicles for the animals. I was not happy about the unhappy animals. But I went into one tall building and there was a giraffe, 8 feet above me, eating hay out of a hay bag tied way up high in its cage. No one was around so I pressed myself up to the bars and said hi to him. He looked at me, slowly batted his eyelashes, and lowered his head all the way down to my height (5'4"). I pressed my nose through the bars and breathed into his nose. It smelled of hay. He breathed back into mine. His eyes with their great big black eyelashes fluttered on my cheek. No kidding, I was in love. And so was he.

4 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, and cool anecdote too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that drawing... u r on 345, wow, aren't u way ahead? thought u were to do one page a day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chrissy and Sarah! Yes I am on Day 345 of my second year, but I've entered my 3rd year technically since I started the challenge part way into the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story, and I LOVE the giraffe you drew!!!

    ReplyDelete