Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In My Travels: Frozen Heart

These past few weeks, it's been very cold here in Northern California. When I go for my almost daily walk around Deer Island early in the morning -- the frost has coated the grasses, logs, and wooden structures that I pass by. My breath comes out in puffs of white smoke. I'm cold, but not that cold and my fast walking keeps my core warm. I stopped at one trail log coated with a film of frost, and traced a heart on its surface with a chilly bare finger. Frozen heart. I looked at it and thought of times both past and present where that seemed true. Maybe so. Maybe not. For sure, any moment now, the suns rays will thaw that heart. It will be as if it never existed.

4 comments:

  1. It's a cold, cold heart that opens best to a warm sun, and the only one that can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that your warm heart brings energy to the cool surroundings! And your beautiful smile brightens the Isle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your warm comments, friends!

    ReplyDelete