Sunday, December 19, 2010

Altered Book Spread: The Grotto

Altered Book Spread: The Grotto
I began a new altered book at this month's Collage Cafe. The actual title of the book is Now You See Her. The book will be filled with images and my thoughts and feelings about the "Creative Feminine." This spread, The Grotto, shows a photo of my shadow self (with its mane blowing in the wind), a bronze statue of a beautiful feminine form, and an image of the Lourdes Grotto, with a statue of the Virgin Mary. Materials used: book, acrylic paint, dye ink, glue paper, sparkles, foam support. It also features a quote by Simone de Beauvoir:
There are moments when time stands still. Moments when you are beyond life and yet
still see. And then time begins flowing again, your heart beats, you stretch out your arms,
you take a step forward. You still know, but you no longer see.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, u created a bit of mystery, the Virgin Mary has always had some mystery to her, your shadow definitely fits in..The quote brings it all together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like shrines, indoor and out...not necessarily spiritual in nature. Since I'm such a collector of stuff, I guess that's natural. If you walk around my house and yard you'd see a dozens of them created impromptu!

    ReplyDelete