Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Photo Manipulation: Using China Markers

Shut Out Does Not Mean Shut Down

This is an experiment from an online course on photo manipulation (by hand) that I am taking. I took a photo from one of my trips to Mexico. Using a white china marker I blanked out the background in the lower portion of the gate. I like how it acts like a bit of wax paper covering a store front -- you can see something on the other side -- you just don't know what it is. Then I took a yellow china marker and colored in the middle section of the gate (originally white in color), then I took the red china marker and an orange waxy crayon and added more color the top and bottom portions of the gate. I went over everything with a graphite pencil (before adding color, and after), added the collage element last, blending the edges a bit with the white china marker.

2 comments:

  1. Had to google China markers.. aren't they the same as Sharpie's? Your pages are certainly taking on a different direction... More intricacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my bad, took a closer look.. had no idea those were called china markers...lol..i've used them as a kid..

    ReplyDelete