Monday, October 25, 2010

Express Yourself Altered Book Workshop at Once Around

My Express Yourself! Artists: Bonnie, Ingrid, and Pat
On a rainy, blustery, Saturday afternoon, a small group of women ventured out into the stormy weather and gathered to take my Express Yourself! Altered Book and Collage Workshop at at Once Around -- a beautiful craft and art store in Mill Valley, CA. Photos of their work and participation can be seen here. What did they have in common? A Master Pilates instructor, a CFO, and a quilter? -- All had the desire to be creative and were curious about how altering a book could ignite their creativity and express them. Bonnie's Color Spread
One of the women had taken a previous class with me, and after having a minor breakdown when I asked her to rip some pages out of her first book -- her creativity has spread like wildfire.
Ingrid's Window

Ingrid's Window Spread Interior
This seems to happen, some people just need that first spark to ignite a passion that is already there. Others go more slowly, are more cautious. I was like that. Although I was altering journals in high school, it took me many years (decades!) to actually bring creativity into my life on a daily basis, and there still are many days when I look at a page or look at my jewelry making supplies and wonder where my inspiration went off to. What I know now is that it always returns. Sometimes you just got to step over yourself to get there. Sometimes you have to wait it out. But it always returns.

I digress. The workshop was fun, it was filled with laughter, it was a joyful thing to see what people came up with...when not sure if anything would happen. It always does!
Pat's Color Spread
For more photos of the workshop and their work go here.

2 comments:

  1. All unique.. The zebra one really caught my eye! wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved looking at the pictures of this fun workshop! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete