Thursday, September 16, 2010

Experiment: An Image from a Past Life


My art instructor, Sabrina, asked me in one of my lessons earlier this spring, to do an "imaginary drawing" using ink wash and Chinese brush pen, while she read out loud this portion from a Yeats poem:

Never until this night have I been stirred.
The elaborate star-light has thrown reflections

On the dark stream,

Till all the eddies gleam;

And thereupon there comes that scream

From terrified, invisible beast or bird:

Image of poignant recollection.


-- from An Image from a Past Life

by William Butler Yeats
Irish Poet
1865-1939

2 comments:

  1. Whether the object in the sky is bird or human, it definitely fits the words of the poem...Drawings/paintings in shades of gray/black seem to give me a feeling of sadness/desperation/yearning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes color will do that to me, too. Although the words from the poem were melancholic, I seemed unknowingly to interpret it differently. The star came out almost cartoonish, seemingly walking across the sky, searching for its mate. Does it see its companion in the water? I'm not sure. There is a bit of melancholy in that!

    ReplyDelete