Monday, March 22, 2010

Mixed Media Drawing: Petaluma Farmland Drive By


As I continue along with my erratic practice of drawing, I drew this piece on the spur of a moment on a 8" x 10" canvas. It uses pencil, ink, watercolor pastels, chalk ink pads, and pen markers. That day I had been driving through the Petaluma farmland -- the hills were so green, and the barns were so dark in contrast. I always love to look at the old (and new) farm buildings along country roads. These structures are always so interesting to me, probably because I spent a lot of my childhood exploring barns and sheds in the Kentucky landscape. I was doing some collages and then just felt the desire to draw something. This is an unfinished piece. I am not sure where to go with it -- or even if I need to. But I wanted to post it and if I make any changes I'll repost with the results. What I liked about it most was the softness of the sky and the hillsides. The barn is a bit hard. But overall the piece is satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment