Monday, August 31, 2009

The Bird and the Rose: Pendant Challenge -- Week 8


I decided to keep working on shadow box-style oriels. I had a pin I purchased in Mexico a few years ago and thought it might look good in a 3-D. I took a pair of pliers and snipped off the pin-back and glued the bird-rose pioece to a rust-colored, embroidery type ribbon. For the back of the oriel, I found this verse from a poem: "the bird and rose in rapture sing...." and glued the phrase to a piece of scrapbook paper. I sandwiched the two pieces between a beveled glass front and a plain glass back, then wrapped them both in copper foil making sure I left an even space around the whole oriel. A green-enameled leaf branch, a red bead, and a pewter bird charm complete the oriel. I really like the way this turned out, and it is fun to wear on a big ball chain necklace.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pendant!

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart idea, Virginia...I adjusted the chain and wore it yesterday...love it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Virginia. I love using old bits and bobs from my jewelry box. Still haven't sussed the soldering lark (wah!). Cheers, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good, Chrissy! Lisa -- Solder has a mind of it's own it seems, so working the stuff takes lots of practice, but once all the elements are cooperating, it's fun to see what comes out of it!

    ReplyDelete