Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pink Lady Strawberry Cake


Strawberry Heaven: Looking forward to making this again!

(This photo is from Tammy's Sassafras Cafe blog -- where she discusses the ample virtues of strawberry cakes)

OK, this is one of my favorite cakes to make and eat. Only every once in a while, because it's chockful of things a health conscious girl might like to avoid. But when you want a taste of pink heaven, this is the cake for you. Lisa from Curious Girl blog got this blog post started. Her post the other day Nostalgia Rocks is about strawberry soda pop, and other things. It brought to mind a recipe that was given to me by my great-grandmother, Nana. When I got married in the 70's, my grandmother gave me a brown spiral notebook,

Nana's Recipe Book (showing a photo of her, her brownceramic squirrel,and a clipping of a "Kentucky Whiskey Cake".)

in which her mother, my Nana, had pulled together all of her treasured recipes. Although the recipe came from the Louisville newspaper, I have a hand written recipe she gave me as well. It looks so homey, what with her vintage handwriting, and the cooking stains.

Nana's Handwritten Pink Lady Strawberry Cake Recipe (with evidence of prior use!)

This is an absolutely delicious cake, although it is made with a box of straberry Jello and a box white cake mix. The interior is bright pink...

A Slice of Pink Heaven (from Amy E.'s Made in Mississippi blog)

...and the buttercream frosting has a lovely pink color from the addition of thawed frozen strawberries. For a homemade from scratch strawberry cake recipe without the in-the-box ingredients go to this post from Latest Addiction's blog.

3 comments:

  1. I know what I'm doing (and eating) this weekend! what a lovely recipe book and a treasure from a loved one. thank you so much for sharing with us!!!

    p.s. even though I'm trying to eat healthy, I'll stay true to grandma's recipe and go for the box and the jello because it sounds simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to make a strawberry bread that had strawberry jam in it...that was to die for.. looked similar to your cake..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Chrissy -- hand that recipe over! And Lisa, it's a proven fact that cheating every once awhile makes a happy dieter!

    ReplyDelete