Thursday, May 7, 2009

Kentucky Comfort: Foods That Make You Feel Good

A "Plehn" Exterior -- Hides Treasures Within!
Leah at Plehn's with Some Beautiful Mother's Day Cookies

I was thinking that Kentucky is home to so many comfort foods, but that is a bit of a grandiose statement. How about Southern Comfort ? -- well, that's a bourbon whiskey made in Tennessee, so I can't use it as an example. Comfort foods don't necessarily have geographic boundaries, but some do, so around the second day of my mother's hospitalization I headed straight for mine at Plehn's Bakery. Phehn's has been in Louisville, Kentucky -- for what? eighty years? and it is home, at least to me, of the world's best cruller with vanilla icing. I have been indulging myself with these baby's since I was an itty-bitty girl. These odd-shaped donuts are simply heaven to me -- I take a bite of its icing-coated-ridged-lip-smacking goodness and I am one happy girl. Sugary, fat-soaked comfort food that momentarily takes away uncertainity, depression, anger. Yeah baby -- I have a standing order for two of these angels every morning, and pick them up on the way to the hospital. I am not even thinking about the calories. I don't care -- it's necessary fortification --my brand of Southern comfort.

1 comment:

  1. those are adorable!... hey whatever works... besides u can always walk off those calories...

    ReplyDelete